but, bbygrl, why a tura satana appreciation day?
[tw : rape]
- she’s a total babe. duh.
- she’s japanese, filipino, cheyenne + irish.
- she was simultaneously a straight-a student in school while being viciously bullied for her heritage + size and punished by her parents for getting into fights. i mean, even without the straight a’s, she was strong and endured feeling isolated at home and at school.
- she’s a fellow rape survivor — “Walking home from school at the age of nine she was gang raped by five men. According to Satana, her attackers were never prosecuted and it was rumored that the judge had been paid off. She tells how this prompted her to learn the martial arts of aikido and karate and, over the next 15 years, track down each rapist and exact revenge. ’I made a vow to myself that I would someday, somehow get even with all of them’, she said years later. ‘They never knew who I was until I told them.’”
- she began living on her own at the age of 13, after her parents married her to a 17-year old and she wasn’t having that bullshit. i can’t even imagine what that was like.
- she was an extremely successful burlesque dancer, and even when she got pregnant at 19 she danced through the first eight months of her pregnancy! and yeah, she still made BANK.
- faster pussycat! kill! kill! — a cult classic john waters apparently calls the greatest movie ever made. i still haven’t seen it, but from what i’ve read it portrays the three female leads (tura satana is the LEAD lead) in positions or power that normally men are portrayed in, and that’s allll the way back in the 60’s. she did all her own stunts and fight scenes. the majority of satana’s styling and one-liners, and some additional key concepts of the film, were satana’s own doing.
- after being shot by a former lover and staying in a hospital, she decided to study nursing and she did just that. she even briefly worked as the dispatcher for the lapd.
tura satana passed away on 2/4/2011, but she’s still amazing and one of my inspirations as a woc, especially as a mixed-race asian rape survivor struggling to embrace my sexuality. <3 and that’s why i’m giving her her own day! just who she was makes me feel good about me.
all facts taken from tura satana’s wikipedia page
never not reblog this amazing woman
mood booster monday TWEENBOTS!!!!!!!!!
I want you to come to my shows. They’re mostly filled with a bunch of people in their 20s, but you should come too! While my shows have no age restriction and are cheap I understand that there are other barriers to partying, especially on weeknights.
So here is my offer to you, teens. If you promise to go to more shows then I promise to make an attempt to do your homework. Don’t have time to go into Brooklyn because you have homework? Bring it, and I will do it. I’m best at math and history, but I also have smart phone + Internet.
Here are the conditions you are agreeing to:
"let history write my epitaph" -herman melville
Got a Girl Crush On: American politician, educator, and author—Shirley Chisholm
She was a Congresswoman, representing New York’s 12th Congressional District for seven terms from 1969 to 1983. In 1968, she became the first African-American woman elected to Congress. On January 25, 1972, she became the first major-party black candidate for President of the United States and the first woman to run for the Democratic presidential nomination.
“I want history to remember me not just as the first black woman to be elected to Congress, not as the first black woman to have made a bid for the presidency of the United States, but as a black woman who lived in the 20th century and dared to be herself.”
mood booster monday hero status
“Starting in 2003 I committed to the idea of creating a luxury apartment in the mall.” never forget providence RI the people who found a little alcove in the mall and brought their playstation